Saturday, February 9, 2008

Thing 4

We have been using Flickr for MINITEX Reference Services for a while now. Check out our page at: MINITEX Reference Servics on Flickr. I love it for our use of posting pictures from training sessions, conferences and site visits. It allows the MINITEX region to see what we are up to, and since we have allowed use through a Cretive Commons license, if a library sees an image they like, they can use it in their own publications, etc.

I am on the St. Paul- Nagasaki Sister City Committee. I am trying to convience the Board to let me create a Flickr accoutn and have everyone upload their pictures there, and I would work on scanning the older ones. I have made our Flickr site private, do to some copyright images, and because some of the members are not comfortable yet with the idea of making it viewable to the whole world, but they are warming up to the idea of how nice it is that everyone in the SPNSCC can view and use the images. The reason I started this project is one of our members passed away and we went looking through our arcives and it was realized that a former member borrowed three photo abulms and never returned them- the photos are lost forever. Though there is no guarantee Flickr will be around forever, but for now it is a great fit for our needs. I am struggling on trying to come up with "subject headings" for all the members to use when tagging their items, so we have some consistancy. We will see how ti goes.. the adventure continuous.

No comments: