Saturday, February 9, 2008

Thing 10

What did you find interesting about the wiki concept?
I like the idea of a wiki and an editable website, per say- you don't use it as a document, like Google Docs, use it to manage information, links, etc... or that is how I have used it so far.

What types of applications within libraries and schools might work well with a wiki?
At MINITEX we use it to list our vacation days, upcoming training date, etc.... use it to manage information more easily within a department.

Many teachers/faculty "ban" Wikipedia as a source for student research. What do you think of the practice of limiting information by format?
Honestly, we know the kids are using it- I think is it wrong to ban wikipedia- I use it for heaven's sake when I know little on a topic! I will look there to get an idea and then consult a mroe authortitative site. Wikipedia is a great site to teach accuracy of inforamtion in the web 2.0 world.... we should be using it as a teaching tool, not banning it.

Which wiki did you edit?
I added to the Wiki Sandbox- didn't want to mess up what looks like working documents in the other. I am at the beginning of wiki learning- at work I often get confused with adding a page and assigning it to the right department, etc. A ltitle to get used to but great power to share and edit things together.

No comments: