Saturday, March 29, 2008

Thing 15 Games

I am not a gamer, though I appreciate them... well I shouldn't say that- time in the evenings has been sucked up by playing the Oregon Trail or Pirates game application in Facebook. :)

I loved the PBS pages- what a wealth of information I never knew about- hopefully I can catch the series when it airs again. I also loved the old-skool gaming tips, like Pac-man to get unlimited lives :) wish I would have figured that out years ago!

I am torn with Second Life and other MMOPRG games. I think lirbaries should know about what teens and our public are using and trying- we should know about the hype and be aware of opportunities that libarries can be publicised and enhance services with. However, I am not so sure we should invest tons of hours creating avitars and virtual worlds when they are not used very much and for a small audience.... it is interesting, the second life people have virtually, and that maybe we can connect with people there that otherwise we can't in the physical world. However, I like ideas that bridge the two that librarians and educators are currently pursuing, like providing computers and times for patrons to play there games together unlimited like one night a week, or providing patrons materials that will help them be better at the game, or suscribe to gaming magazines so they come into the library and bridge the two worlds together.

No comments: