Saturday, March 29, 2008

Thing 21 Ning

I just joined Ning and Ttwitter. I don't get the whole microblogging thing. Telling people that you jsut drank a bottle of water, got done with a meeting, etc. Sure I like knowing if you are at work, at home, at a conference.. overarching things, but I don't need to live your life via twitter... I jsut don't get the appeal. maybe it is because I am nto a big phone talker- I have friends who will tell each other everything they did via the phone, so now you do it real time via twitter.

I do like how with nonprofits the world of social networking can be a GREAT thing. For example with OCLC's open worldcat- if someone actually buys an item through amazon from that program's site a portion of the $$ goes back to the library they designate (or so they claim- I don't know of any library that has received $$ from the program yet). GoodSearch with nonprofits can join and then have people use the search engine and they get $$ from every one's search with that search engine. There is a lot of potential on the web for nonprofits.

No comments: